Burkhard Martens, author of the best-selling book Thermal Flying, has published a new book.
It’s called Cross Country Flying and is aimed squarely at pilots who want to learn how to fly cross country, as well as those cross country pilots who want to fly further, faster and for longer.
It’s bang up to date, with advice on how to use technology to maximise your flights, what tactics to use and how to score well in online competitions. Plus it has special chapters on:
- Cross country for novices
- Weather, thermalling and understanding best glide
- Need to know essentials: best time to launch, inversions, convergence, crossing valleys, dolphin-flying, tactics, valley winds and more
- How to fly the mountains
- In-depth interviews with experts, including Chrigel Maurer, Jocky Sanderson, Ewa Wisnierska and more
- Flatland flying
The book also includes detailed information on how to fly some of the best XC sites in the Alps, including:
- Fiesch and the Wallis Valley
- Fanas in Switzerland
- Pinzgau in Austria
- Speikboden in Italy
- Greifenburg in Austria
- Annecy in France
Plus there are photo site guides to some of the world’s best sites:
- Quixada, Brazil
- Manilla, Australia
- Iquique, Chile
- De Aar, South Africa
- Rift Valley, Kenya
- Piedrahita, Spain
The book is available now. It’s easy to read and is packed full of clear diagrams, good photos and expert advice.